Thursday, January 14, 2010

Global Community

We are truly becoming a global community. Thanks to modern communication (ie the internet, improved television communications, etc) we can know what's happening in other areas of the world in the blink of an eye. We can watch sports events live, watch award shows from distant places, see royal birthdays, presidential elections and far more.

Sometimes what we see though is horrific. I'm sure by now you've all heard of the earthquake in Haiti. Conditions are grim and I don't want to go into them here. If you are curious just Google "haiti earthquake" and you can find recent news reports on Tuesday's 7.0 quake.

What I do want to say is that I am proud that Canada, the USA and other nations are pitching in to send aid to Haiti and to let you know that you can help too.



Both Canada Red Cross and the American Red Cross have information on their websites and you may donate online or call them. Apparently it is also possible to text a donation (although I'm not sure how that works.)

Every dollar donated helps. There is not a lot of extra money floating around out there for some of us, but just think. If 1,000 people all donated $1 each instead of thinking "I only have a dollar, that won't help" there would be $1,000.00 raised!

There are other reputable charities accepting donations as well. I just posted the Red Cross links because that is where I personally direct my dollars at times like this.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing links and awareness. We all need to remember to give to those less fortunate, even when times are tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. The texting works by charging your phone bill. When you text whatever it is to that number then it will charge you
    $10. It's a great way to donate very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great ideas. I will have to look in to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday ~ new trailer!