Saturday, December 11, 2010

Smart Puppy!!

I am an animal person.  I love my critters and I think they are pretty darn smart.  I'm also one of those people that think (most) animals understand a lot more than people give them credit for.
The other day my little Tucker pup showed just how smart he is.  I was sicker'n HECK.  I didn't eat most of the day, in fact just seeing food on t.v. would make my stomach turn and send me to the bathroom.
It.  Was.  BAD. 
When I finally could start "eating" it was basically a soda cracker or two at a time, trust me 3 crackers was pushing the limit, with a few sips of ginger ale. 
So there I was crashed out on the couch with packets of crackers (we have the kind that come 2 to a pack, like you get with takeout soups).  I was laying on the couch wearing sweats and a t-shirt, fire going, wrapped in a blanket... so hot I was sweating yet freezing cold at the same time.

sidenote, I usually wear shorts & a tank top when I'm just chillin' in the house

Now my dogs follow me everywhere.  As Pie says, I am the pack leader in our house.  That day they were a little more considerate of my space as they followed me to and from the bathroom, almost like they knew I was pretty out of it and could easily trip over/step on them by accident.
Tucker was very careful to jump OVER me instead of ON me when he got off & on the couch, in fact for the most part he just stayed curled up by my legs or hip.
Well one of the times I went to the bathroom Tucker didn't follow me right away.  When I looked at the door he was standing there with one of the cracker packets in his mouth.  He made eye contact with me, dropped the packet, backed up two steps and sat down.  All the while looking me in the eye.
Awww, my little baby was taking care of his 'momma' lol
What makes it seem even more to me like he was bringing them TO me not just to me is that under normal circumstances he would steal a packet and tear it apart to eat the crackers himself. 
(which he had done just the day before)

Tucker, Nov 7/10
The next day Tucker was back to his mischievous self... running around playing, have those frantic little slightly crazy puppy play moments and tormenting the big dogs.  In fact he seemed to be a bigger brat than usual, almost like he was burning off the energy he had stored by being so chill the day before. And yes he was back to stealing crackers again! 

10 comments:

  1. Brighter than most humans! Sharper than a tack, they`ll always stay with you, and always be loyal. My 5 dogs? they can be noisy, dirty,yappy, and when you think they are all settled in front of the stove at night! They always try to out do each other to get to the heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, that's special! I hope you are feeling much better, sounds like that was a nasty bug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I also think that dogs understand and know when something's not right with their people pack members.
    I agree, Tucker is very smart!
    Hope you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way a dog can enrich a life, you're tempting me to go looking for one!

    oh, and i wanted to say that in germany there are no crackers. not the crackers we know back home, square and white, meant for soup, PB, or when we're sick. a crackerless country, that's where i am. (they have ritz, but that's not what we're talking about here, i don't think.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww what a nice dog you have! Pretty hard for him to bring a gift he ussually eats himself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was taken care of his mom. How cool is that....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty darned cool.

    Hopefully you got over that bug quickly. Sounded nasty.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday ~ new trailer!