Sunday, July 1, 2012

I Am...

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, 
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it "about" not "a boot".

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced "zed", not "zee", "zed"!!!

Canada is the second largest land mass!
The first nation of hockey!
And the best part of North America!

My name is cdncowgirl!*
And I AM CANADIAN!!!

*for those of you that don't know, this was a very popular ad campaign and the proper second last line is "My name is Joe"*
 
Over 10 years later and I still love that rant.  In a funny way it signaled the start of Canadians becoming more loud about being proud to be Canadian.  Especially funny as its a beer commercial... way to hold up another Canadian stereotype ;)
For a long time people have thought that we Canadians aren't very patriotic.  Truth is we are, we just haven't been very "in your face" about it.  But that's changing, and its a nice thing to see.

For anyone that would like to see The Rant click here

I post The Rant today in honor of Canada Day -- 
Happy Birthday Canada!

PS I've prempted my Sunday Stills in honour of Canada Day.  I will post my pics tomorrow (hopefully)

1 comment:

  1. ya I remember that, I loved it!!! I am wearing my Canada flag shirt down here today so everyone will know I am from Canada and its Canada Day.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday ~ new trailer!