Friday, April 8, 2016

My heroes have always been cowboys

If you're at all interested in barrel racing you are probably well aware by now that we lost a great man, a true horseman and teacher.  Ed Wright, "papa Ed" or "grandpa Ed" to many, many barrel racers, was found dead in his barn Monday 28 March 2016.

I consider myself so fortunate to have ridden with Ed and have him for a friend and mentor.  He may have been tough but he was always fair and he tried to temper the tough love with humor.  When I'm struggling with something and get it right I often hear his "good job baby" - high praise from Ed indeed ;)
Ed was kind, tough, funny, humble, a heckuva horseman and so strong in his faith without "pushing" it at people... I have so much respect for who he was and consider him a role model both in my horse life and personal life.

**pic from Heather Smith's Barrel Racing Tips Facebook page**

To show our appreciation for his teaching and in honor of Ed there is a 'movement' (for lack of a better word) to put a lime green ribbon in your barrel horse's mane while racing this year.  I know my horses will be rocking their ribbons!   Thank you Ed -- RIP



Link to the obit on /W Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/SlashWBarrelHorses/posts/1318865718139582?fref=nf

1 comment:

  1. I never knew him but have hear the impact more than once that hes had on you. Sounds like a genuine good guy.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday ~ new trailer!