Sunday, March 25, 2012

Reluctant Models

I had bought bronc nosebands for Voodoo & Applejack a couple years ago.  When I saw the same vendor at the Equine Expo last month I had to order ones for Smudge & Lefta.
I tried to get 'nice' pics of the kids modelling their duds but do you think they'd cooperate?  Nooo, well except for Appy that is... look at him bat those eyes
Normally I'm not a fan of bronc halters, a lot of them are big and "clunky" looking and IMO do nothing for a horse's head.  Now I'm not saying these are super flattering either but I like the variety she has in shapes, sizes, colours and styles.  I like that you can choose what conchos and other 'bling' you want (or don't want)
I chose this one for Applejack specifically because of the colour, however his name didn't fit so I put the initials of his papered name.
I really like the masculine feel of it, including the conchos. I think choosing brass dots instead of crystals of some kind helped keep that masculine feel but still dressed it up.
The rest of the models were more interested in scritches & cookies than having there photos taken...
Voodoo's has a few clear crystal spots, again I picked it for the colour of the hide.  His is a more simple, regular shape.
I didn't see a band with hair that I liked for Smudgers so I went with leather.  I chose a fairly traditionally shaped one figuring it would suit his big noggin.  "Steel" dots instead of crystal, barb wire tooling and his name stamped in big, bold letters.
I found Smudge's pretty quickly but when I looked for one for Lefta I was at a loss.  The ones with hide didn't look like they'd flatter her, and I didn't see a leather one I liked.  Then I saw a sample one of a grey/white hide and asked if she could make one in that hide.  Sure enough she could so Lefta got hide with her name burned in and to 'girlie-fy' it I asked for purple & clear 'crystals'.
A better look at the crystals and the conchos with crystal centres.  They really do look more purpley than they're showing up, its a pale purple but its purple (although that bright halter should be purple enough lol)

11 comments:

  1. I sure like those purple crystals, very pretty. I also like the shape of Applejacks, it is unique for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done.

    I'm with you on the bronc halters. I think they are cool as heck, but at the same time...not entirely flattering. I have contemplated getting a couple but have always stopped myself. I really like your personalized ones. Maybe that's the route I will have to go. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a Facebook page but no website. Let me know if you'd like it :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely designs! Especially Lefta's ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just MIGHT be the purple that you prefer, not the actual halter lol

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of a "bronc noseband" -- is it for a specific purpose, or is it a type of halter? At any rate, they are cool looking.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bronc nosebands is also known as bronc halter, in this case the lady just makes the noseband part.
      Rodeo roughstock horses have a wide, heavy noseband on their halter, I believe this is where the term comes from.

      Delete
  5. Well aren't your horses looking snazzy! Lovin' all the bling! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be sure to check out R 6 Leather, they make some amazing bronc style halters as well as belts, martingales boots, saddles, chaps- well, just about everything! And they travel to a lot of Rodeos up in Oregon.
    I like the purple color on your horse!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday ~ new trailer!